Terrain Project - The Challenge!


One of our local players, the talented Century, is thinking of running a tournament. The very special thing about this tournament is that first prize is a 28mm miniature of choice painted by him. This should give you an idea of just how valuable this prize is:

Hi, I'm Century's Asura.  He painted me.  
Now, I'm no slouch when it comes to painting, but this is fantastic.  Century is a bloody painting god.  So you'd better believe I want that prize!

The cool thing about this tournament is that Century is not asking for a cash entry.  Instead, he's asking that each entrant puts a serious effort into making terrain to beautify our club tables.  I'm not going to go over the specific rules here, but I think this is a fantastic idea on Century's part, and tremendously generous of him to provide a prize that's...well...ridiculously awesome.

My overall plan is to make an 8x8 control room and load it with tonnes of detail and incidentals.  We've been playing Paradiso with make-shift objective rooms, so I think this piece will be a good contribution.  I've already started to pick up a bunch of supplies:


The Base


I picked up this 8x10 piece of HDF at a local Wallack's art supply store for a few bucks.  I'm going to saw it down to an 8x8 and use the remaining pieces as sturdy bases for freestanding ladders (something we really lack at our LGS).


The Bits



I've had this Pegasus Chemical Plant kit kicking around for a long time, and now I'll finally have something to use it on.  I'm probably going to use the grill-work to augment the feeling of a central operations room, and pipes will help decorate the walls to make it look like the room is actually part of a facility.


The Want


This console piece from Antenociti's Workshop is something I've been looking at for a while, and I think it would be just the thing for a control room centrepiece.  I haven't ordered it yet, because I'm looking at some of the other fantastic stuff Antenociti offers for use as incidentals or decoration.


The Next Time

At any rate, I'm hoping that this terrain project will push me to update my blog a bit more, so that I can show my progress from "bits lying around my basement" to "impressive control room tournament entry".  Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year - and Updates!

Battle Report - Boudicca, Scourge of Rome VS Manfred Rochdale

The Devotee of Tezcatlipoca, the Smoking Mirror